From young adventurers to more senior explorers, Costa Rica is a destination that appeals to all ages. And for the family members who like to walk on the wild side, they will appreciate Lapa Rios Rainforest Eco-lodge’s commitment to preserving some of the last remaining tropical lowland rain forest existing in Central America where the adventuresome family can encounter birds, trees and plants found nowhere else in the world. Guided hikes will bring kids nose to nose with exotic white-faced monkeys, three toed sloth and coatimundis, while the more sedentary members of the family can relax in their open veranda, surrounded by the lush gardens and vibrant forest.
At Lapa Rios, the team believes that the future survival of the rainforest is dependent on the education and commitment our youth. While staying at Lapa Rios, children young and old will have the opportunity to:
- Hike through the 1,000 acre private reserve and learn about the unique biodiversity of the rainforest. In addition to Lapa Rios numerous rainforest hikes, such as the Wild Waterfall tour, Matapalo tour, etc (all of which can accommodate children), kids may also choose to participate in the Kids Rainforest Tour, a hike specifically designed for them. Lapa Rios’ experienced nature guides will lead them through primary and secondary forest as they learn about the area’s unique biodiversity in a fun, interactive manner.
- Visit the nearby Carbonera School. This allows guests the opportunity to interact with children of another country and culture. Playing soccer or sharing books and songs are favorite activities. Families are encouraged to bring art supplies, games and Spanish picture books along to share with local children.
- Participate in a number of water activities, such as surfing, dolphin and whale watching, fishing and kayaking.
- Go horseback riding though the jungle and on the beautiful beaches of the Golfo Dulce.
- Plant a tree in Lapa Rios’ Volunteer Rainforest. This gives families the opportunity to contribute to Lapa Rios’ private reserves’ reforestation efforts and learn how they personally can make a difference.
- Learn about sustainability and environmental responsibility by taking part in Lapa Rios’ Sustainability Tour, where families will learn the importance of recycling, solar panels and a number of other environmental activities.
- Participate in a number of culturally-enriching activities, such as typical Costa Rican dances and tortilla-making classes.